Smith Chat
Members please check that your email address is updated in your Profile.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 2014 NOTICE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Smith Chat's "SMITHs Around the World" Forum is now closed, and the content re-located to other boards.

For USA/Canada indexes see North America Resources sub-board in "Share, Discuss, Suggest"

For Australia/New Zealand indexes see The Aussie Archive in "Social Club Archives"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HomeFAQSearchWebRingRegisterLog in
Smith Chat Members, Changed your Email address? Please update it in your >> Profile >>~~~~~~~~ Newly registering member? Welcome and >> a note for you >>
Please share your UK and Ireland SMITH interests on the >> Regional Boards >>

SMITHs of East Lancashire - do you recognise a relative's name on my SMITHs WW1 Roll of Honour and Memorials? >> more info >>

The "Brit SMITHs Around the World" Forum is now closed, and content re-located. For USA/Canada index see >>North America Resources>>. For Australia/New Zealand index see >>The Aussie Archive>>

Share | 

SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tracynz
2-star-status Member
2-star-status Member

PostSubject: SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated   Sat 06 Oct 2007, 10:04 pm

Hi

I have everything crossed that someone may be able to assist me and point me in the right direction to find my Smiths

All I have is

Arthur William Smith married May Francis Josephone Lally 9/1902 Nottingham

Children

Alice
Steve
Reginald
Kay
Arthur
Albert
Gladys
Herbert Hargreaves (my granddad) born 20/10/1910 Nottingham
married
Blanche Jelly 21/12/1940 born (Blanche) 26/11/1919 Netherfield

Herbert died 10/8/1970 and Blanche died 14/4/1978

We left UK 40 years ago and I am trying to trac my mums family so she knows more that above

thanks
Tracy
Back to top Go down
Cas
Admin
Admin

Female Posts: 4892
Locality: Blackburn, Lancashire

PostSubject: Re: SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated   Sun 07 Oct 2007, 1:23 pm

Carole wrote:
:ck-smile: Hi Tracy and Welcome to Smith Chat,

Thank you for telling us about your Smiths from Nottingham & we'll certainly try to help as much as we possibly can.

Am I right in thinking that you haven't got the marriage certificate for Arthur William Smith and May Francis Josephone Lally (9/1902 Nottingham)? If you haven't - that would be a good place to move on from here - as it should give Arthur and May's fathers' names and other useful information of course - their ages, possibly home addresses, etc.

Otherwise - my next thought is - Nottingham 1901 Census for Arthur William and May Francis - before their marriage, & so probably at their parents' homes on the 1901 - the Smiths and the Lally family. (Lally quite an unusual surname). So wondering if you've started any Census searches yet Tracy? from 1901 census - can then move backwards to 1891 - 1881 etc.

I started a Links List Topic a while ago for East Midlands Counties sites, which includes Nottinghamshire - there might just be something useful on there..........
>> Links for EAST MIDLANDS COUNTIES Research >> (Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire & Rutland)

Also see our >> Links Cabinet >> - which includes an extensive collection of Links to useful UK databases and other resource sites.

In any case - keep us informed Tracy and as I said - we're here to help all we can.

Chat again soon,
Carole
Hello again Tracy,

Just another note to say you've now been placed in the Green Usergroup
ie: >> Smith - Other UK & Ireland >> so your Username will now display in Green. The only reason for this is to identify you as researching Smiths of counties other than Lancashire, W.R.Yorkshire or Isle of Man (Red Group)

wave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cas, Smith Project/Smith Chat Admin www.smithfamilies.org.uk
Nothing is too small to know, and nothing too big to attempt (William Van Horne)

Last edited by Carole on Sun 18 Jan 2009, 10:59 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : COMBINE TWO POSTS)
Back to top Go down
http://www.smithfamilies.org.uk
Tracynz
2-star-status Member
2-star-status Member

PostSubject: Re: SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated   Wed 10 Oct 2007, 10:05 am

thanks carole

i dont have there certificate but will email my aunt and see if she can organise getting it for me, they got married in 1902 though
Back to top Go down
Cas
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated   Wed 10 Oct 2007, 12:26 pm

Hi Tracy,

You might already know this, but I see that there's a matching reference for their names on Freebmd

Marriages September Quarter 1902 - Nottingham Registration District
Lally May Josephine F : 7b 708
Smith Arthur William : 7b 708

Check the GRO Index Scan here >> 1902-SepQ-Marr-Smith-A-B >>
(and use Zoom) and if I've read this correctly - I believe this confirms that 7b 708 is the correct GRO reference for Arthur William Smith, Nottingham Reg District. So the certificate could be ordered from the General Registry Office by quoting that reference, and July to Sept 1902. Or, if you're able to narrow down the date to within a month - the Nottingham Local Registrar might be able to locate it there for you.

Have you got your grandad's birth certificate Herbert Hargreaves Smith, born 20/10/1910 Nottingham? If so - just wondering if there's a home address on it - that might indicate which Parish they lived.

Look forward to your next update Tracy.
Bye for now,
Carole wave
Back to top Go down
Tracynz
2-star-status Member
2-star-status Member

PostSubject: Re: SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated   Thu 11 Oct 2007, 8:52 am

Hi Carole
Thanks for that

I have Herberts marriage certificate which shows that they lived at 2 Pearson Street Netherfield and was registered in Basford and Arthiur William Smith was a General Labourer

Thanks for all your help it is great considering that I am so far away and Mum knows very little about the family to help me!

Tracy
Back to top Go down
Tracynz
2-star-status Member
2-star-status Member

PostSubject: Re: SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated   Thu 11 Oct 2007, 8:54 am

Herberts sister Alice was born 1912 and maried Mr. Key?
Back to top Go down
maxine
Smith List Indexing Assistant
Smith List Indexing Assistant

Female Posts: 2732
Locality: Lancashire

PostSubject: Re: SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated   Thu 11 Oct 2007, 1:41 pm

Tracy hello and thank you for you posts and i see Carole has been helping you to find your family.

I have a few questions for you that might help.

Have you got birth mariage and death certs for your starting point?

As these give you the fathers name so you can work backwards by using the census.

If you dont have acess to the census then please give us as much info as you can and i will do a look up for you.

As i understand it you would like to know more about your mums family history for her and therefore yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.smithfamilies.org.uk/SmithInterestsList/p2694-MAX
Cas
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated   Sat 13 Oct 2007, 4:45 pm

Hi Tracy and Maxine,

Yes, it would make it a lot easier, as Maxine's suggested and offered, to trace Arthur William on the 1901 and prior Censuses if we had an approximate date of birth for him (especially in view of the number of Arthur Smiths and probably Arthur William Smiths too). The 1901 Census is of course before the marriage of Arthur William and May Frances - so most likely still at separate households on the Census. The first Census that will hopefully show them together and with their children will be the 1911 - and unlikely to have access to that until 2012.

If you can manage to get their marriage certificate, Tracy, that would most likely (fingers crossed) give their ages and fathers' names - which will then be the "key" to finding their families on the 1901 and prior Censuses.

You have Herbert's full name, parents' names and his exact date of birth - so you could order a copy Birth Certificate if you chose to do so - from
>> Nottingham Register Office >> - their webpage includes email address and other contact details.

If you do decide to apply to Nottingham for Herbert's birth certificate - there'd be nothing to lose by also giving them the Quarter Year and GRO Ref for Arthur & May's marriage and ask if they're able to trace the entry in the Registers they hold.

Otherwise - you can apply directly to the GRO for a copy of Arthur's marriage certificate, as mentioned before, but I forgot to include a link sorry - here it is..........>> General Register Office of England and Wales >>

So we'll look forward to your next update Tracy - and if you can get some evidence of Arthur's approximate date & place of birth & his dad's name - can then move onto the Census good stuff!!

Carole
Back to top Go down

SMITH Nottingham - any help greatly appreciated

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Smith Chat ::  :: -